The History of Schnabels’ Woods
The farm, currently known as Schnabels' Woods, is rich in history. Originally owned by William Penn, who owned all of Pennsylvania (penn + sylvan = Penn's woods). This property originated through the Penn Grant and was acquired from the Indians through the walking purchase in the 1700's. The farm was deeded from the Penn family into other historically rich Bucks County families until it reached the Kelly family in the 1800's.
The Kelly family farmed and lived on the land for years. Eventually Malachi Kelly built 10 cottages along the banks for the Tohickon Stream to be used as fishing cabins. No longer being farmed, the property was once again covered with tall second growth trees. In the 1940's the farm was purchased by the Schnabel family and in the 50's and 60's further cabins were built. The farm, then known as The Kelly Farm, was used mostly by Philadelphia and New York City families as a retreat to the country from the bustling cities.
In the '60 the state of Pennsylvania built Nockamixon State Park, a 5500 acre park built around 1500 acre Lake Nockamixon. The park has miles of trails for hiking, biking, horseback riding and cross country skiing. There are three swimming pools, a 500 slip boat marina, a seven mile long lake and thousands of acres of forested state game lands - all in our own back yard. Upper Bucks County has become a vacation, recreation and historic area, rich in country charm.
Lives have been enriched through the love of nature and quiet seclusion. Cabin owners today find a connection with nature that is hard to find anywhere else.
Schnabels' Woods is a family owned and operated facility. The family endeavors to provide a quality natural setting, in a peaceful environment for those who seek harmony and oneness with nature.
These are our values and our vision which we gladly share with the visitors who choose to purchase a vacation home. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, and kill nothing but time. Welcome to Schnabels' Woods nestled on the wooded banks of the Tohickon and embraced in the quiet stillness of nature.